Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Terrible bug (PR#748)

To: Leandro Noferini <leandro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: FreeCiv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Terrible bug (PR#748)
From: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:29:09 +0200

On Thursday 19 April 2001 02:50, Leandro Noferini wrote:
>     >> Looks to me like a bug with gtk, which is not entirely
>     >> unexpected with Debian-unstable. I'd try using the xaw client,
>     >> which can be selected with
>     >>
>     >> ./configure --enable-client=xaw
>     >>
>     >> You'll need some xpm development libraries.
>
>     Thue> ./configure --with-xaw3d is a better idea!
>
> I tried with xaw and xaw3d but the result was the same! :-((((
>
>     Thue> freeciv (both CVS and 1.11.4) works for me on debian.  Maybe
>     Thue> it was compiled against some old libraries and freeciv needs
>     Thue> to be recompiled?
>
> Alway recompiled - the package for freeciv doesn't exist for woody :-((((
>
>     Thue> You might want to make a backtrace from the core file.
>
> I don't know quite anything about things like backtrace and core file:
> I know only ./configure --options-I-try, make and make install...
>
> Can you help me to understand what I should do?

(you should of course have gdb installed)
The following assumes you stand in the freeciv root directory.
Start gdb with the civclient binary:
 % gdb client/civclient
start civclient
 (gdb) run
It should the run (and crash) as usually. When it crashes you will be
returned to the gdb prompt. Then write
 (gdb) backtrace
Which should give you the legendary backtrace.

You can also get a backtrace even if you didn't start the client inside gdb,
but have a core file. Just write
 % gdb client/civclient core
 (gdb) backtrace

-Thue