Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Ranking.

To: dnh <dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Ranking.
From: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 13:35:00 -0700

On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 01:12:38AM +1000, dnh wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Paul Zastoupil wrote:
>
> > I know the system sucks.  But further tweaking is really a wasted effort
> > unless someone can code an authentication patch to Freeciv.  I haven't
> > tried to create a perfect system, I was only meant as a proof of concept.
>
> Well okay, I didn't realise it was such an experimental thing. I must say
> I enjoy having the ladder there it adds alot to freeciv. I must ask
> though, how can you do it with an authentic freeciv patch? I would have
> though most of the ladder stuff would be handled by stuff outside
> freeciv, IE a global freeciv metaserver. You can't really have a ladder
> with only one server. Thus, Paul where do you plan to go after you have
> proven that your ladder system is a good concept?

Any ranking will always be based on a single server.  Can you trust
everyone in the world to be fair when submitting their game results?

We need an authentication patch in order for each player to have an
authenticated user name in a database so that each time they play we know
its them, and not someone else. This would also facilitate figuring out
how many real players vs ai there were in a game.

I am sick, and not thinking straight.  If you were to look at the
archives of the mailing list when I started the ranking system, I think
I explained it better then.

--
Paul Zastoupil