Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Ranking.

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Ranking.
From: dnh <dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 23:09:12 +1000 (EST)

Hmm I am not so sure the current system of ranking is all that super =). I
just went from 178 to 8 in one match. While poor ChaosZ went down awhole
lot for losing one game.

The real problem with the current system is that leaders would be alot
better off not playing, than testing their skills further. This is really
the opposite of what it should be. The leaders should be all but forced to
regularly play to keep their position.

I have no really good ideas as to how to fix this problem, but perhaps
something like awarding a few more points to players who win more games?
Perhaps a system based on the score achieved the new 'level' of the
players (I don't think you want to include AIs). A system to prevent
players for just AIing to get very high scores might also be needed,
anyway this was just an idea I had. The fact remains the current system
works, but could do with alittle tweaking to prevent 178 - 8 moves,
especially considering I had one 15 or so straight games before that and
moved about 4 ranks.

dnh

ps. I don't spose some system of multiple nicks/registered nicks could be
used so as to prevent a) Players changing names all the time from not
getting points and b) players using other players nicks, losing, and thus
seriously damaging someones hard earned score.