Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Settler tech patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Settler tech patch
From: Arien Malec <arien_malec@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 14:30:59 -0800 (PST)

All --

Attached is a partial patch to implement tech flags for settler techs.
The basic idea is to make the settler technologies you get for free
(road building, irrigation, mining) something you have to develop,
which seems both more realistic and more challenging. (Settler techs
would also balance out a terraform only unit with no population cost).

I've only done the changes necessary for irrigation techs & I've not
done one crucial piece, which is to allow default style play (where you
get these things for free).

I've done only the partial patch for 2 reasons:

1) I want to see if anyone cares (after going through the pop_cost
patch with Michael & seeing no visible interest)
2) I want to see if I've forgotten anything

If anyone does care, the next steps would be to do the same thing for
road building and mining, and to add something like a
initial_tech_flags variable in techs.ruleset (e.g., initial_tech_flags
= "Irrigate", "Roads", "Mines")

One of the nice things about such a variable is that if you wanted to
start out with a radically changed tech set, and you wanted already to
be able to transform & make airbases, and the like, you could use that
variable there too...

Comments cheerfully appreciated.

Arien