Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: WISHLIST: Goto cursor shows movecost (PR#717)

To: Patrice LaFlamme <ewd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: WISHLIST: Goto cursor shows movecost (PR#717)
From: dnh <dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 00:50:28 +1100 (EST)

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Patrice LaFlamme wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 04:29:01PM +1100 or thereabouts, dnh wrote:
> > > I once talked to thue about it, he said something about randomness (like
> > > when you have
> > > 2/3 moves left, you have 66% chance of actually moving over the terrain).
> > >
> > > but I guess it can be fudged a little and give an 'estimate' it'd be nice
> > > :)
> >
> > No NO. Wouldn't you just want to show the fastest route? I wouldn't worry
>
> and.. the fastest route IS an estimate :)

What I mean is, don't bother with the line only going as far as the unit
can move, just trace out the 'goto' commands route. If you 'goto'
somewhere on the continent it will often choose to go on plains instead of
mountains even if it only has 1 movement point anyway.

> > about the green and yellow for now. The most important part what you want
> > is just a line that shows the AIs prefered route. This could also work by
>
> the AI's preferred route? I thought we were talking about number of turns
> shown on the goto line...

When I said AI, i meant the AI used to calculate shortest route.

> > having a blue line when there is a nearby sentried boat that can be used
> > to cross.
> > I think that would be a truley useful feature because for such things as
> > attacks etc. Something like shift click if you want to follow the blue
> > line =). Would make moving troops across the globe much much easier.
>
> getting more and more complex...

Of course.

> > Further thought, you could even employ the same idea for Automated
> > settlers and Xploring units.
>
> ... and I don't understand what you mean... you're straying very far from the
> goto line it seems :)

No, I was just saying, you could use this traced out line for other
commands. IE if you make an explorer use the 'explore' command, it will
show you the path it will take (and it will modify when it hits
something.. for example) when you select it.

> Patrix.
>
> PS: dnh, here's your medal I promised you on #freeciv:

Hurray for me!