Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: comments on ics solutions

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: comments on ics solutions
From: Martin Olveyra <molv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 01:31:08 -0300

On Thu, 01 Mar 2001, Jing wrote:
> Martin Olveyra <molv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >In this model, the flux depends on the relative size between cities and its
> >travel distance. Even you can define regions (group of cities) that
> >determines a closed system in this aspect, for example, simply by enclosing
> > (......)

> I don't know.  It all seems getting more complicated than it should be.  So
> the player has to decide what constitutes a "region".  Wouldn't this require
> more micromanagement?  Is it really worth the effort?
>
> [snip]
> >mmm...very simply (sorry of my arrogance ;-) ). I have this point 65%
> >completed. Theese have been productive holidays...hehe.
>
> Well, I guess I just have to see the code then.

At this time, I have in mind another variant to all this:

First, add a unit who can carry out shields and food (this responsability might
fall on the caravan)
Second, add a exclusively client tool in which you can gather a group of cities
and led them to a common objective. This is a less ambitious variant of the
suggestion about provinces which I submit some days ago. This doesnt imply
micromanagment, but the opposite. You dont have to worry about how each city is
managed. You set some configuration, and the province itself "thinks"
which city produces the caravans to transport food and shields from one city to
another, which city produces other units you specify in a list, what
improvements do to the cities and its priorities, a plan to connect cities with
roads, a plan to irrigate the province territory, to clean it, to build mines,
to build factories, develop education...well, the list would be very big.

This part of the idea is near completion. This represented more or
less the cited 65% of the original project. I emphasize on the fact that this
tool is on the client side only. The server will not see that.
Obviously, the first time I will present this project, it wont have all the
desired functions, but new ones can be added easily.