Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: comments on ics solutions

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: comments on ics solutions
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 22:08:26 -0500

Martin Olveyra <molv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

actually, each 2 points of trade surplus gives 1 science (sorry, the choice of the term "unit" was a bad idea, I was refering to "unit" as a "unit of measure")

You do realize this depends on the science rate. I am not sure how you suggest to change that. Lower the max science rate?

[snip]
In this model, the flux depends on the relative size between cities and its travel distance. Even you can define regions (group of cities) that determines a closed system in this aspect, for example, simply by enclosing a group of tiles by a goto like poliline in the map. If the cities of a region are all the same size, there won't be flux between them. But always in a moment a city begins to grow faster than others...and here we obtain the assimetry. If you need, for same reason, that a city develop without the interference of a big near city, simply define a closed region, so to assign to the former a group of small cities.

I don't know. It all seems getting more complicated than it should be. So the player has to decide what constitutes a "region". Wouldn't this require more micromanagement? Is it really worth the effort?

[snip]
mmm...very simply (sorry of my arrogance ;-) ). I have this point 65% completed. Theese have been productive holidays...hehe.

Well, I guess I just have to see the code then.

What its the KISS principle??

"Keep It Simple, Stupid."  (No offense intended.)

Well, perhaps this is the key point: all social and economical models are questionable. If not, one of the major problems of Humanity had been solved a lot of time ago... May be we (all who are discussing the ics) never will agree in all the points. Perhaps, the solution is to implement a system in which each player could choice between models as he does with type of government... So, if one player wants to use the actual model, he apply it, and his cities will work in a different way as the cities of another player, which use the mike jing's model, or the jussi asp one, or the Kiermaier one, or even my model, if someone likes it. Just a thought...

That sounds great. I am just afraid that introducing more complexities into the game won't necessarily make it any better. In fact, it usually does the exact opposite.

Mike