Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] The central point on problem of ICS

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] The central point on problem of ICS
From: Martin Olveyra <molv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 23:55:47 -0300

If we take a settler from a city, the city losses 1 worker, so one worked
tile is lossed, but when the same settler builds a city, you win two worked
tiles. This is one of the key point of ICS.
In the actual model, doing only few changes, one solution, as
Kiermaier suggests, could be to take two workers from the city where the settler
was built. Other one may be that each recently builded city had only one worked
tile. (may be the former the most appropiate)

Another key point is that, in words of Colombo:

>>You can't have a city smaller than 4 produce more than 1 trade.
>>This will make a large empire with small cities possible, but only for a
>>limited time. What makes ICS winning is that it gives also a trade
>>advantage. 40 1,2-sized cities produce more trade than 10 of size 4.

So, I think that, if we add extra trade bonus as the city increases in size,
the problem could be solved.

>That's certainly true.  And maybe you would want to do the same for
>production?

Im not agree, because the small cities will loss too much importance. After
all, the small cities are those who can export resources.

I insist in the suggestion that the settler unit has to be splitted.
Also, the addition of a unit who can carry food and shield will led to new
posibilities (may be the caravans can do this). This makes that food and shield
could flow to big cities, so to develop the big cities, which are the most
important for the nation advance.