Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: toner supplies

To: sigra@xxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: toner supplies
From: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 23 Feb 2001 13:57:00 +0000

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, sigra@xxxxxxx wrote:

> torsdagen den 22 februari 2001 20:28 skrev Gaute B Strokkenes:
>> >
>> > I would like that too. I have noticed at ALSA how slow mailing
>> > lists become with filtering, but with the recent increase in
>> > spam, it is worth it. Thoose who are on the thread will get the
>> > post mailed directly and will receive it without delay.
>>
>> On the GNU mailing lists, mails from RBL'ed hosts have an
>> X-RBL-Warning header added to them automatically.  This means that
>> each person on the list can make their own decision as to how to
>> deal with them; personally I filter them all into a folder called
>> mail.suspicious and check it from time to time.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but this wouldn't prevent it from being
> slow, because i guess it is the looking in that database that takes
> extra time. It doesn't reduce the waste of bandwidth eiter, since
> the spam is removed AFTER it has reached the many mailboxes.
>
> So the only benefit of marking the headers instead of just blocking
> the messages would be if someone actually wants to get info about
> where to by toner supplies and such. But then they should probably
> subscribe to some spam list instead of/together with freeciv-dev.

Rubbish. This is assuming that the spam filter is perfect, which it
most assuredly is not--they do in fact block out a lot of legitimate,
non-spam email.  (Note that since I filter my mail based on this
criterion, I do in fact know what I'm talking about.)

> If you're worried that some mails that are not spam would be
> stopped, dont be. The senders would notice that the mail doesn't
> reach the list (assuming that they are subscribed), and contact the
> administrator to fix the problem.

Maybe, maybe not.  On a list with mostly technologically literate
subscribers, such as freeciv-dev, I think that is probably true.  On
freeciv, no.

--
Big Gaute                               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
After this, I'm going to BURN some RUBBER!!