Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: toner supplies

To: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: gudlat@xxxxxx, "Daniel Gudlat" <d.gudlat@xxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: toner supplies
From: Erik Sigra <sigra@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:47:15 +0100

torsdagen den 22 februari 2001 20:28 skrev Gaute B Strokkenes:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, sigra@xxxxxxx wrote:
> >> If the former is not an option, then implementing filtering on the
> >> RSS (Relay Spam Stopper, see http://www.mail-abuse.org/rss) will
> >> likely prevent most SPAM such as this one from getting to the list,
> >> without hurting anyone...
> >
> > I would like that too. I have noticed at ALSA how slow mailing lists
> > become with filtering, but with the recent increase in spam, it is
> > worth it. Thoose who are on the thread will get the post mailed
> > directly and will receive it without delay.
>
> On the GNU mailing lists, mails from RBL'ed hosts have an
> X-RBL-Warning header added to them automatically.  This means that
> each person on the list can make their own decision as to how to deal
> with them; personally I filter them all into a folder called
> mail.suspicious and check it from time to time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this wouldn't prevent it from being slow,
because i guess it is the looking in that database that takes extra time. It
doesn't reduce the waste of bandwidth eiter, since the spam is removed AFTER
it has reached the many mailboxes.

So the only benefit of marking the headers instead of just blocking the
messages would be if someone actually wants to get info about where to by
toner supplies and such. But then they should probably subscribe to some spam
list instead of/together with freeciv-dev.

If you're worried that some mails that are not spam would be stopped, dont
be. The senders would notice that the mail doesn't reach the list (assuming
that they are subscribed), and contact the administrator to fix the problem.