Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] ICS solution #683

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] ICS solution #683
From: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 17:56:34 -0800

Ok so I have a proposal to eliminate ICS as well (who doesn't?).

I am rather busy right now, but I wanted some discussion before I started
hacking (and I mean that in the most unskilled use of the word).

I think that Mike Jing's solution is very effective, I just am not a
big fan of unhappyness (who is).  It also makes for very tedious empire
management.  Large empires aren't intrinsically unhappy.  Its all a matter
of the standard of living within the empire.  If the people live well, it
doesn't matter how many there are.

I think cities of size 1 should produce no science, and cities of size
2 should have their science halved.  The reason for this is 2 fold.
First we want to limit ICS.  Second, historically science has always
been about people having time to focus on things other than surviving
and also communication.

The research speed may have to be tweeked to keep the game flowing,
but this would help reduce the attractiveness of ICS.

Reinier Post pointed out there is a false floor on trade so that cities
can never have < 1 trade.  This should also be removed.

Anyway, perhaps I will have time to code some of this, and people will
actually listen, or I will be too busy with my house, and my frail voice
will fade off into the distance.  However, either way, I wont be going
away anytime soon.

:)

--
Paul Zastoupil