Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] An idea: vassalage

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] An idea: vassalage
From: Dmitriy Genzel <dg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 16:36:44 -0500 (EST)

Hi all.

Here's an idea I'd like to present: vassalage.

A nation that is hard pressed may offer to the stronger one to become its
vassal. If the stronger nation accepts it becomes the overlord of this
nation. Overlord gains a certain percentage of vassal's yearly income and
full control of vassal's military forces (excluding all units of 0 attack,
such as settlers and diplomats). Those forces continue under their old
flag but really obey the overlord. Any cities and money they capture
belong to the vassal. Overlord has no control over vassal's cities
(production, etc) or treasury, except maybe through some form of hints,
which the vassal can refuse. The vassal gains one new technology from the
overlord every so often.

Either side can break the vassalage (presumably if the other side isn't
fair) and suffer a loss of reputation. In this case the army of the vassal
reverts to his control. Perhaps the units of both sides within the other's
territory are instantly trasnported to their home cities.

If at some point only a country with some vassals remains - it is the
winner without need to destroy the vassals, who are partial winners.

Why this is a good idea:

if someone's losing it gives him a chance to continue playing, even
winning perhaps. One who treats a vassal well and lets him expand (not as
much as the overlord, but still sufficiently) would gain his goodwill and
continued use of his resources - which may give him the necessary edge
over a hard opponent. One who is greedy will make sure that the vassal
revolts as soon as possible and becomes a thorn in one's side.

This is probably not to hard to implement in AI. Have the military control
given over to somebody else. Have an indicator of whether we are doing
well under the vassalage, and whether we stand a better chance revolting.
Have an indicator whether we should become someone's vassal.

Please tell me what you think.

Dmitriy