[Freeciv-Dev] Re: The questions of a volunteer

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: The questions of a volunteer
From: Dirk Stoecker <stoecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:15:11 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

> Me being a little experienced C-programmer, i would like to help a bit
> with freeciv code, currently i'm trying to make a compile nice on a
> Tru64. (without all the anoying warnings).

Don't try to make it without ALL the annoying warnings. Nobody will accept
your work and it will fast be out of date (I know, I started that way :-).
Specify on low number of files and create patches for these. Don't be
angry if they aren't accepted. Try again with fixed, better, newer
versions. One day they will be accepted (BTW: jjm, what about my log.h
patch :-)

> My question is who do i contribute, where should i ask questions
> (civ-code and code regular).

Read all the doc-stuff in the code-base. Development questions (if not too
dumb) are normally asked in this group. Contributions are posted to this
group. Read the "How to contribute" texts on freeciv-homepage.

For regular coding there are forums in usenet (c-programming groups, ...)
or in WWW or anywhere else. Also reading the code and trying to understand
"how and why it does, what it does" helps a lot in learning programming.
Also later times, when you now how to program a lot better. Earning never
ends .-)

Ciao
|____| _|_ |____| _|_    _|_ |____| I hope AMIGA never ends to make fun!