[Freeciv-Dev] Re: win32 server

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: win32 server
From: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 27 Jan 2001 19:05:19 +0000

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, rp@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 07:13:29PM +0000, Gaute B Strokkenes wrote:
>
>> I don't know.  You seem to regard your mini-gettext as an
>> embarrassment that should be hidden in a special directory lest
>> anyone catch sight of it.  I don't quite agree; I think that if it
>> works for the Amiga, it ought to work for Windows as well.
>>
>> Basically, we have the choice between maintaining a set of patches
>> to the original gettext, patches that will have to be changed every
>> time gettext changes.  Or we can use your mini-fork, which we will
>> have to update/extend every time the interfact changes.  I know
>> which one I think is simpler.
>
> Do not ignore the fact that we are already distributing a gettext
> version with Freeciv.  It is different from Solaris gettext, for
> instance (and compiling with Solaris gettext didn't work, last time
> I tried, ./configure --with-included-gettext was required.)

What didn't work, exactly?  I'm just curious.  gettext() is not
exactly a complicated interface, so I suspect a Freeciv bug.

> So we're already dragging our own version around - so why not patch
> it?

Except it's not `our' version.  It's the GNU project's version.  We're
not maintaining it ourselves.

>> I think it would be easier, and not very harmful, to just stick it
>> in a file in common and bracket the code with #if defined (AMIGA)
>
> Ths is a proposal to *violate* the autoconf principle.  Which isn't
> necessary.  You can define a 'feature' variable instead,
> PATCHED_BINDTEXTDOMAIN or something like that, and make autoconf set
> or clear it on those platforms that use it.

You misunderstand.  I was talking about the entire mini-gettext, not
just bindtextdomain().  I guess you could have a seperate define
called USE_MINI_GETTEXT if you really wanted to.

bindtextdomain() is the only function inside mini-gettext that needs
to know anything about the underlying operating system--it needs to
know what sort of API is available to find out what the language and
locale is.  Since there's very little (ie. no) variation on a given
Amiga or Win32 system as to how this should be done, I don't think
that any defines other than WIN32_NATIVE or AMIGA are necessary.

--
Big Gaute                               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
This is my WILLIAM BENDIX memorial CORNER where I worship William