[Freeciv-Dev] Re: win32 server

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: win32 server
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 02:46:12 +0100

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 07:13:29PM +0000, Gaute B Strokkenes wrote:

> I don't know.  You seem to regard your mini-gettext as an
> embarrassment that should be hidden in a special directory lest anyone
> catch sight of it.  I don't quite agree; I think that if it works for
> the Amiga, it ought to work for Windows as well.
>
> Basically, we have the choice between maintaining a set of patches to
> the original gettext, patches that will have to be changed every time
> gettext changes.  Or we can use your mini-fork, which we will have to
> update/extend every time the interfact changes.  I know which one I
> think is simpler.

Do not ignore the fact that we are already distributing a gettext version
with Freeciv.  It is different from Solaris gettext, for instance (and
compiling with Solaris gettext didn't work, last time I tried,
./configure --with-included-gettext was required.)  So we're already
dragging our own version around - so why not patch it?

> I think it would be easier, and not very harmful, to just stick it in
> a file in common and bracket the code with #if defined (AMIGA) ||
> defined (WIN32_NATIVE) .  Keep it simple, you know.

Ths is a proposal to *violate* the autoconf principle.
Which isn't necessary.  You can define a 'feature' variable instead,
PATCHED_BINDTEXTDOMAIN or something like that, and make autoconf set or
clear it on those platforms that use it.

--
Reinier