[Freeciv-Dev] Re: win32 server

To: Dirk Stoecker <stoecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: win32 server
From: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 24 Jan 2001 19:13:29 +0000

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, stoecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this is a bit of message compilation due to my reply-to errors :-)

>>> The point is that the special code is already there. The only
>>> thing you have to do is move it to the common directory and add
>>> appropriate #ifdef and configure magic to make sure there is no
>>> stomping of toes.
>
>> Common is not the right directory anyway. Either leaving it in
>> amiga with some additional ifdefs or moving it to a new drawer
>> "misc". I would not like to have such rudimentary replacements in
>> the main directories.

I don't know.  You seem to regard your mini-gettext as an
embarrassment that should be hidden in a special directory lest anyone
catch sight of it.  I don't quite agree; I think that if it works for
the Amiga, it ought to work for Windows as well.

Basically, we have the choice between maintaining a set of patches to
the original gettext, patches that will have to be changed every time
gettext changes.  Or we can use your mini-fork, which we will have to
update/extend every time the interfact changes.  I know which one I
think is simpler.

> [example if ifdef source send by Andreas ...]
>
>> What's the way to proceed? Should I cut the intl stuff from that
>> patch and resend it again? I18n is nice but the server will work
>> without it.
>>
>> I don't know how to do the autoconf stuff which is needed to
>> integrate gettext.c into the win32 build. Can you help, please? I
>> define WIN32_NATIVE in configure.in/acconfig.h when a mingw32
>> system is detected.
>
> I don't know much about autoconf, so maybe others can help here. For
> the first step I would say leave the "patched" code in amiga
> directory instead of resubmitting in win directory. Whenever the
> i18n interface access of freeciv changes, I will modify this source
> also, so it stays up-to-date (as long as work with freeciv :-).
> Maybe in a later step a new misc directory like suggested above will
> be created.

I think it would be easier, and not very harmful, to just stick it in
a file in common and bracket the code with #if defined (AMIGA) ||
defined (WIN32_NATIVE) .  Keep it simple, you know.  The only function
within that should require any changes would be bindtextdomain().

--
Big Gaute                               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
The SAME WAVE keeps coming in and COLLAPSING like a rayon MUU-MUU..