Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Assertion failure in Xaw client. (PR#631)

To: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Assertion failure in Xaw client. (PR#631)
From: Marko Lindqvist <caz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 02:20:28 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, Thue wrote:

> OK, so you open the displayed city window, and it is displayed correct.  Now
> what if you get sent the player info again, for some reason, and the city
> window is then refreshed for some reason. *crash*. I can't just now contruct

 If that city window is ever refreshed, it's bug in itself. Diplomat is
supposed to give only snapshot from the city, not endless stream of
information. Crash sounds like a good way to notive bugs unnoticed this
far :)
 In fact, I already found one. I left investigation window open and some
ten turns later it tried to update.

 But I agree that my patch is a bit unsafe considering future development.
And it's just a compromise between sending government info always and
only when player really have right to know it.

> a situation where this could happen, but I can't rule it out either. A
> possible fix would be to give each city it's own govenment I think. Until

 I still don't like sending government type at all for city investigation.
Rather I'd calculate all production values server side.

> that is done, I think we should just send the government regardless. (unless
> someone has some persuasive arguments not to.)

 It's a bad option, but maybe all other options are even worse :(

 Caz