Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Embassy improvement

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Embassy improvement
From: Vilius Puidokas <vilius@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:16:16 -0500

Piotr Sulecki wrote:

> Ave!
>
> > I think that the Embassy should tell you about the military strength of
> > your opponent. That way you will not be surprised when he launch a massive
> > attack.
>
> But that's the whole point! Remember Stalin and Hitler in 1941?
>
> Ok, maybe you have some point here, but I would like the precision of
> such a report to depend on whether you have Espionage or not.
what about spy atack on capital (or smth) to get info about locations of
some of units? (a lot of ground for random)

> > It would also be nice if the Embassy would let you know about his stats
> > in the demographics.
>
> I'd like that, too.
>
> And another idea: a 'gather info' spy action. The spy becomes a
> 'resident' in the city it's used against and disappears from view (and
> your control). While inside he sends you the full info about the
> target's demographics and/or overall military strength. He can be killed
> every turn by the defending diplomat/spy (percent chance, maybe 5%/10%
> per diplomat/spy) and has a chance (50%?) of dying in the revolt. You
> cannot get him back unless you conquer the city.
>
> Your opinions, Sires?
in general i liked the idea, but why one has increased chance to die in
case of revolt? maybe increased risk should come with some
advantage(subvert a city)? some perks in case of riot?
btw, if we do this, maybe we should leave the area around the city
visible (dep. on spy's vision_range)?

actually, what about control on your spy in enemy's city, increased
posibility to get caught due to communication, coloboration between
spies also taking some stuff from IG2 spying techs.. umm, i guess we
could make a branch called 'freespy'... ;)

vilius