Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Items for the localization mini-FAQ

To: mwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Items for the localization mini-FAQ
From: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 16:46:44 +0200

Hi,
I have written a few items for the localization mini-FAQ. Gaute has
provided me with usefull corrections and he supports it. We both think
it should be on the webpage. So here it is:

* How do I edit po-files?

  Although po-files can be edited directly, the safest and most
  convenient way to edit them is to use the Emacs po-mode.

* The po-mode doesn't start when I load a po-file in Emacs. What
  should I do?

  Make sure you have GNU Gettext installed. You can download it from a
  GNU ftp mirror site.

* I have GNU Gettext installed but the po-mode still doesn't
  start. What should I do now?

  Type 'info gettext' in a shell (or use the Emacs info-mode), select
  'Basics' and select 'Installation'. Then you will find more
  information about installing the Emacs po-mode.

* I get the error message "Fontifying XX.po...buffer too big" when I
  load a po-file. Is the po-file to big?

  Don't worry. The buffer/file size is just fine. What Emacs is trying
  to say is that the value of the variable font-lock-maximum-size is
  too small. Emacs refuses to fontify buffers larger than this value
  because font-lock may consume a lot of resources for big buffers. To
  change the value, press 'M-x', type 'customize-variable', press RET,
  type 'font-lock-maximum-size' and press RET. Read the helptext in
  the buffer that opens and customize by changing the value to
  something like 524288 (2^19) (or whatever value you think is
  suitable). Now the files should become fontified when you open them
  (unless they are larger than 512kB).