Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: po-files are too big (PR#561)

To: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: po-files are too big (PR#561)
From: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 16 Sep 2000 16:22:24 +0200

Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx> writes:

> Gaute B Strokkenes wrote:
> > Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > > (setq auto-mode-alist
> > >       (cons '("\\.po[tx]?\\'\\|\\.po\\." . po-mode) auto-mode-alist))
> > > (autoload 'po-mode "po-mode")
> > > (autoload 'po-find-file-coding-system "po-mode")
> > > (modify-coding-system-alist 'file "\\.po[tx]?\\'\\|\\.po\\."
> > >                             'po-find-file-coding-system)
> > >
> > >   Save it and restart emacs with a po-file. Now the buffer should
> > >   become highlighted with beautiful colors.
> >
> > I don't think that it's a good idea to include detailed instructions
> > on how to install things by hand.  If gettext has already been
> > installed by your sysmonster or if you're using some sort of package
> > system, this can screw thing up quite severly.
>
> These configuration lines is what I get if I type 'info gettext',
> select 'Basics' and select 'Installation'. Whatever a "sysmonster"
> might be, it has to be me at my place, because I added those lines.

So installing gettext on your system does not install po-mode for you
as well?  It does on mine.  Just another advantage of Debian, .debs
and policy, I guess.

I think the right thing to do is to tell them to try visting the file
as usual and see if it Just Works(tm), and try M-x po-mode if it doesn't.
If that fails too, tell them to install gettext if they don't have it
already and try again.  If it still doesn't work, direct them to the
manual.

> I don't think the value 2^20 is arbitrary. It is exactly 1MB and if
> I select describe variable, the help actually includes exactly this
> value (1048576) in an example:

[example snipped]

Sure, but that doesn't make it any more relevant to the Freeciv
pofiles.  The largest one (pl.po) is just over 400kb.

>   Type 'info gettext', select 'Basics' and select 'Installation' for
>   more information about installing the emacs po-mode.

You do know that emacs has got an info-reader built-in, right?  Just
refer them to the info node.

>   To change the value, press 'C-h v' and type
>   'font-lock-maximum-size'.  Read the helptext in the buffer that
>   opens and select the underlined word 'customize'.

I think it's easier and more robust to tell them to use
M-x customize-variable RET font-lock-maximum-size RET

> > --
> > Big Gaute (not to be confused with LG)
> > Civilization is fun!  Anyway, it keeps me busy!!
>
> Keeps me busy too!!

Actually, that's just a random quote from M-x yow.  Kind of funny
coincident, though.

[Long and ugly default .emacs from SuSE snipped.]
That's pretty ugly; I'm glad Debian has a more sane setup.

--
Big Gaute (not to be confused with LG)
My FAVORITE group is "QUESTION MARK & THE MYSTERIANS"...