Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compilation blues on IRIX (PR#560)

To: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compilation blues on IRIX (PR#560)
From: Gerhard Killesreiter <killes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 15:29:44 +0200 (CEST)

On 16 Sep 2000, Gaute B Strokkenes wrote:

> Off course, but a compile that dies might very well indicate that the
> configure script has failed to detect the system configuration
> properly.

You obviously know more about configure than I do :)

> > BTW: Freeciv seems to not compile with -lm by default. At least I get
> > a fatal problem when using Eriks river patch. Not on Linux, however.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean.  Do you mean that Freeciv doesn't compile
> if you link with libm, or that Freeciv forgets to link with it when it
> should?  I haven't looked at Erik's patch myself.

The latter, however Eriks new patch (without pow()) does not require -lm.
Maybe you could look at it and possibly commit it to cvs. I really think
it is a huge improvement.

> Here we have the culprit, I think.  As suspected, configure seems to
> think that your xgettext program is ":".

Should this be fixed? If yes, how?

> Looking through the aclocal.m4 that comes with gettext, it appears
> that this is actually intentional.  (The colon is the shell no-op.)
> Maybe that .pot really should be in CVS, after all.  I can email you
> mine, if you'd like.

No, thanks. I'll take the approach below.

> Alternatively, just configure with --disable-nls or
> --with-included-gettext, depending on whether you really want nls or
> not.

Playing with nls is a way for me to search for errors in the German
translation.
I think, that this problem should be somehow fixed, either by improving
the way configure looks for xgettext or by including .pot in cvs. Or maybe
by including an README.irix.

BTW: If I compile freeciv with some libraries in a non-standard place
(libXpm is not installed on my system, I installed it in $HOME/lib)
does this make my executable less portable? I would like to replace the
freeciv-1.8 package which is offered for IRIX on www.freeciv.org with a
more recent one.

Cheers,
        Gerhard