Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [ObjectCiv-devel] GUI

To: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Cc: objectciv-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [ObjectCiv-devel] GUI
From: gs234@xxxxxxxxx (Gaute B. Strokkenes)
Date: 14 Sep 2000 03:25:09 +0200

Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx> writes:

> > Qt on Windows and other non-unix platforms is not free (speech or
> > beer) or open source, so we can't use it (on Windows.)
>
> OK You are almost right. The Windows version without X server would
> not be able to use a Free Qt client. But the Windows version with X
> server could use it. (Not that I care much about Windows.)

Sure, but the Windows native version isn't.  If you're willing to run
an X server on your Windows box, you might as well use the xaw version
with less trouble.  Or forget about X servers and use gtk+.

Again, I'm not opposed to a Qt client.  It might, or might not, be
nice if someone wants to do a C++ civclient.  But I'm only reading
this from freeciv-dev@, and I don't see really see any point in doing
so.

Pulling a fast one on the Swedes might be a Norwegian national
pastime, but I really don't see anything in the Trolltech propaganda
that indicates that a Qt client would be an improvement on the status
quo.

--
Big Gaute (not to be confused with LG)
YOW!!  I'm in a very clever and adorable INSANE ASYLUM!!