Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [ObjectCiv-devel] GUI

To: objectciv-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [ObjectCiv-devel] GUI
From: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 22:31:13 +0200

SamBC wrote:

> ~~ObjectCiv-devel mailing list~~
> ---------------------------------

Trolltech declaring that they have decided to license their next version, Qt
2.2 under the GNU General Public License.
<http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-09-04-013-20-OS-LF-KE>
<http://www.trolltech.com/company/announce/gpl.html>

It seems to be ready now:
<http://www.trolltech.com/company/announce/qt-220.html>

Richard M Stallman's blessing:
<http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-09-05-001-21-OP-LF-KE>

> > Qt would give portability to many platforms, se:
>
> Doubtles true, I quite agree...

Here is the online reference documentation:
<http://doc.trolltech.com/>

Qt seems to have everything that Freeciv needs:

"a highly optimized 2D graphic area called QCanvas" (with support for tiles):
<http://doc.trolltech.com/canvas.html>

"The network module offers classes to make network programming easier and
portable":
<http://doc.trolltech.com/network.html>

Internationalisation (i18n):
<http://doc.trolltech.com/i18n.html>

"The Qt Designer is a visual design tool that makes designing and implementing
user interfaces a lot easier":
<http://doc.trolltech.com/designer.html>

"The XML module provides a well-formed XML parser" (maybe for rulesets and
savegames in a distant future?)
<http://doc.trolltech.com/xml.html>

With Qt, Freeciv could use the same client on:
          AIX - 3.2 or later.
          BSDI/OS - 2.0 or later
          DG/UX
          Digital UNIX (OSF/1) - 3.0 or later
          FreeBSD - 2.1 or later
          HP-UX - 10.20 or later
          Irix - 6.x.
          Linux
          NetBSD
          OS/2 (with XFree86)
          QNX
          SCO UNIX
          Solaris - 2.4 or later
          SunOS - 4.1 or later
          Windows 95
          Windows 98
          Windows NT - 4.0 or later
          XLib on Windows

Trolltech claims to have tested Qt with the following compilers:
          Borland C++ - Windows 95/98/NT
          Comeau C++ - Linux
          DEC C++ - Digital UNIX (OSF/1)
          GNU gcc / g++ / egcs - most platforms