Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [ObjectCiv-devel] GUI

To: <objectciv-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [ObjectCiv-devel] GUI
From: "Nathan Gundlach" <dagchess@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 16:22:36 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <objectciv-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2000 4:37 PM

> On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Erik Sigra wrote:
>
> > "Gaute B. Strokkenes" wrote:
> > >
> > > Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > > Qt on Windows and other non-unix platforms is not free (speech or
> > > beer) or open source, so we can't use it (on Windows.)
> >
> > OK You are almost right. The Windows version without X server would not
be able to use a Free Qt client. But the Windows version with X server could
use it. (Not that I care much about Windows.) For those who don't know, the
relevant information is in point 13 in this FAQ:
> > <http://www.trolltech.com/developer/faq/free.html>
>
> Which kinda defeats using Qt altogether (unless you *really* like the
> API).  Even the Xaw client works on windows in this fashion.  Win32 users
> *hate* being asked to install a X server on their machine.  And there
> aren't many good free X-Windows servers for Win32 you know (if there's
> more than two barely decent ones i would be surprised)...

I use X-Win32. It is an evaluation version but it doesn't require that you
purchase it after the evaluation time is up; it just only works for 2 hours
at a time. It allows you to restart it immediately after, and gives
warnings, doesn't automatically shutdown.