[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Units take-over (capturing)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Units take-over (capturing)
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 09:24:43 -0400

Marc Strous (marc_strous@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> another suggestion to make combat-combat-unit combat more interesting:
>
> make it possible for the defender to retreat.

Alpha Centauri has this feature.  The way they've implemented it, only
"fast" units (units with 2 or more movement points) can retreat from
combat.

If I recall correctly, the attacker may be able to disengage as well.
But I'm not sure of that.  (My beta expired, so I'm still waiting for
the full version of the game....)

> currently this could probably only be implemented as a random event. in the
> CTP modpack i am still working on this could be done more naturally, because
> the combat proceeds in "rounds", and you might retreat after the first
> "round" (which could mean surrendering your city)

Oh, you're talking about *voluntary* disengagement....  That's something
quite different.  (In SMAC, a unit disengages by getting lucky, not by
choice.  If the defender is fast and losing, and the attacker does *not*
have ECM (electronic counter-measures), then there's a chance each round
that the defender will be able to disengage.)

I'd suggest that it should be impossible to disengage when defending
a city.  (I don't think anyone is likely to do it by choice, anyway!)

--
Greg Wooledge                    | "Truth belongs to everybody."
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             |   Red Hot Chili Peppers