[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Gettext problem.

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Gettext problem.
From: gs234@xxxxxxxxx (Gaute (B) Strokkenes)
Date: 18 Aug 2000 00:15:00 +0200

David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 14 Aug 2000 gs234@xxxxxxxxx (Gaute (B) Strokkenes) wrote:
>
> > When I try to compile Freeciv without --disable-nls, make consistently
> > bombs out in the linking stage, complaining that the symbol
> > 'dcgettext__' is not defined.
>
> Is there a symlink intl/libintl.h in your freeciv source tree?
> If so remove it and try again.  This symlink gets created in some
> cases depending on configure or configure-results,

This is my conclusion as well.  I realised that 'included' gettext
uses dcgettext__ instead of __dcgettext to avoid mucking about with
ANSI namespaces etc. and realised that intl/libintl.h was shadowing
/usr/include/libintl.h.  First I thought that this was because Freeciv
was improperly adding -I../intl/ to COPTS, and I investigated the
various hacks that Freeciv uses to get around some gettext limitations
to see if they were the culprit.  Then I realised that libintl.h was
somehow put in place automagically.  All of this took a bit of time.
I eventually solved the problem by nuking intl/ and checking it out
again.

> and doesn't get removed automatically if you re-configure
> differently.  Should be possible to fix somehow in configure...

Maybe we should add this to the FAQ?  Makes you wonder why gettext
doesn't do this already.  I've been intending to investigate this with
the appropriate authorities, which is why I didn't report on my
conclusions yet, sorry.

--
Big Gaute (not to be confused with LG)
..  the HIGHWAY is made out of LIME JELLO and my HONDA