[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Proposals

To: "Gerhard Killesreiter" <killesreiter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Proposals
From: "Wong TM (Huang Deming)" <lookmeow@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 07:39:20 +0800

<snip>
> A list of proposals for freeciv in no particular order:
>
> Questions:
> - How are the start techs determined? In partikular: Does every
player
>    get the same?

        I interested in this too. I browse through the src code and couldn't
find the part that init it.

<snip>
> New techs to be researched:
> - the printing machine (Gutenberg): related to science
>
> - telegraph (who?): can connect cities, more science, trade (?)

        I realized from history text that 'Road' is quite a civilization
advance too. The Romans is one of the first to built an extensive
network of Road(mostly out of military necessity). The network of road
stretch from England and Spain to North Africa(the Roman Empire). It
took around 1,000 years(a millenium!)to build and it's 85,000 km long.
They need some clever surveyors to look for the shortest, straightest,
flattest route in order to build it. Does it now justified it as a
tech? Maybe I can code it in the ruleset if someone could give me some
hints or past 'example patch'.

        btw could someone in future add some 'cookies' along the source code
so that people could grep and know where to modified when they want to
add some new features. Like adding a new attribute 'PSI ability' in
unit, just grep the source tree and u know where to insert the code.
less bugs, and faster to code IMHO.

        btw can I download (the entired?) past freeciv mail archive as one or
more compress files somewhere? So that I could learn from past patches.

        IMHO, the RENAISSANCE period it too short(when fighting with
musketeers and ironclad). Maybe the above techs that Gerhard
Killesreiter mention could be used to slow down the RENAISSANCE period.
printing machine - the first information age?
telegraph - add a special unit called the 'Hacker'? :)

> Client:
> - graphical representation of money/science/whatever-increase
>     vs. time  as graph on the empty left side of client.
>   Or  number of cities with population n against n.

Try Civlog, it's a Java's Freeciv score log file reader and presents it
using a power
graph. You can find the full source code and binary package in
<ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/incoming/CivLog-0.02ME.zip>.
Email me if it's not there any more, I will upload a faster and newer
version of it.

> AI:
> - the AI is too easy. It was harder to beat several months ago.
>    sometimes it leaves cities without a single defender.
>    typical situation: You put one musketeer in front of a city
>     that is defendet only by phalanxes. The AI will waste many
>     phalanxes to get rid of your musketeer. The following
>     musketeers can easily take the city.

        did u try hard? (type 'hard' in the server console)

> - it would be nice to have some basic diplomatic interaction.

        suggest by a lot of people but no one is willing to code. have to
wait.

> - the AI should use fighters & bombers.

        same as above

> other suggestions:
> - when pillaging land improvements: decrease the quality of
>    railway, road gradually, indicated by less visibility of
> improvement.

        I suppose what u mean is to give visible warning to player if someone
is pillaging your land?

<snip>

> - a retreat-command would be usefull: when a unit is badly damaged
>    the command would be issued and the unit would go to the nearest
>    friendly town/harbour to recuperate. Whether a town has a barrack
>    should taken into account.

        vote++; maybe someone with experience could code in little time

<snip>
> - the AI can stack units, human players might to want to do this too.
<snip>

-------
comsumer should have the right to choose linux in their box instead of
windoze from vendors!