[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Materials in Freeciv

To: ZENIT News Agency <mark@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Materials in Freeciv
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 02:10:46 +0200

ZENIT News Agency <mark@xxxxxxxxx> napisał:
>Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > There is some research, but inventions are called Founding Fathers
> > and are "persons".
>
> Except that the Founding Fathers are offered to you randomly... There is
> no "tech tree", just a statement that the following four or five people
> are available, and then you choose one. Apparently there was no
> competition for who got whom, because I seemed to always get all the ones
> I wanted (only played 2-3 complete games, as I was still on a 386, and it
> was more than a bit sluggish).

I did more Colonization hacking (this was game I hacked the most ever),
changed everything what was possible, and then made a daemon^H^H^H^H^H^HTSR
that allowed me to change even more.
Oh, and played at least 50 times, had much more time 3-5 years ago.

Anyway, it wasn't so linear, there are three epochs, and for every epoch
there is magic number 0-9 (or 0-10) for every FF. FF are of 5 categories,
and you can choose from set of one from each category. You usually get
ones with biggest magic number, and pre-choicing algorithm, in theory,
should give no or minimal chance to appear in choose-box
for FFs with very low numbers if you didn't have all with biggers completed.
If number is 0, you can't select him even if all others are completed.
Most were available in all epochs, but with diferent numbers, some only in two.
And sci-lux-tax system was much more advanced, and choices weren't very easy to
do (only a few must-haves).

> It seemed in general more linear. You start your colony, the mother
> nation keeps raising taxes until you get utterly fed up with it, you
> declare independence, the mother country sends more troops than you can
> possibly defeat, but sooner or later one of the other countries loans you
> big guns to enable you to win.

I found much more ways to play that one you described.
I'd say there are much more ways to play and win than in civs,
because world at game-start is at least 10x more complex.
In civs there's only one way - very very fast expansion.
In colonization you can win with either 4 or 40 colonies,
with former more common.