[Freeciv-Dev] Re: tolerance, political-correctness, and fascism

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: tolerance, political-correctness, and fascism
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 08:56:48 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Reed Meyer wrote:
> Right, basically it was just intended for scenarios.

Scenarios that require changes to rulesets are what is now called
'modpacks', and come with their own ruleset files. For a proper WWII
scenario, you should change more than just adding one new nation, and so
you would have to include new rulesets in any case.

> I hope that the "fantasy" nations (Dunedain, etc.) also ultimately only
> show up in scenarios (or modpacks) -- they really don't belong (obviously)
> in the same category as real-life nations, either past or present.

Why not? If some people enjoy playing these nations (and there are) and
nobody minds playing against them (heard no complaints), there is no
problem. They add to the overall flavor and distinctiveness of freeciv.

> I submitted the Nazi "nation" (along with the other ones) to be included
> into the general distribution so I wouldn't have to maintain the darn
> things every time there was a major code update.

To sum up, you
 - still want it in despite massive opposition on the lists
 - set conditions on freeciv development if this happens (copyright angst)
 - do not intend to help maintain it

I see.

Yours,
Per