[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Blitzkrieg patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Blitzkrieg patch
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 16:21:13 +0200

On Sun, Jul 30, 2000 at 02:09:58PM +0200, Falk Hueffner wrote:
> David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Reed Meyer <rdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > >      Here is a patch for the Wonder of the World "Blitzkrieg", for freeciv
> > > 1.11.0.
> >
> > As far as the patch itself, I'm concerned about game balance,
> > since this seems a overly powerful wonder...
>
> I agree. This is *far* too powerful. Even 1 additional move point
> would be too powerful IMHO.
>
>       Falk

Maybe so, but at present, attacks over land are very difficult,
so I think this is a great feature!  It will be balanced only if
there is sufficient cost/risk involved in having increased movement.

This is a problem with wonders in general: once built they provide
their advantage at no cost.  It's a little better for wonders that
represent 'automatic improvements' such as the Pyramids or Sun Tzu:
players without the wonder can at least build improvements to have
the same benefit.

An idea that might help: make Blitzkrieg equivalent to
Military Academies everywhere; a M.A. provides the extra
movement points to units produced in that city.

A more general idea that I feel would help: turn other wonders
into the 'automatic improvement everywhere' type.  E.g. Magellan's
could be equivalent to a Wharf in every coastal city.

Another idea: don't strike the upkeep cost of these improvements.  E.g.
if you have Pyramids, you'd still pay upkeep cost for Granaries in each
of your cities.  This would help to balance the power of Magellan's and
it can also help for Blitzkrieg.  It would also reduce the importance of
expansion: at present, a big nation can build a wonder at the same cost
as a small nation, but it gets a much larger benefit.

--
Reinier Post