[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Blitzkrieg patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>, Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Blitzkrieg patch
From: Jed Davis <jldavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 22:18:29 -0400

--On Sunday, 30 July 2000 4:50 PM +0200 Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, Jul 30, 2000 at 08:57:23AM -0400, Jeff Mallatt wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing (in the default ruleset) a limiting of the power
of some of these unbalancing wonders.  Maybe, simply change all the
current "eternal and global" wonders to become obsolete at some point
(hopefully, we could come up with reasonable techs that would obsolete
each wonder). The ones I'm most unhappy with (i.e., the ones I try to
get myself ;-) are:

A.Smith's Trading Co.
Cure for Cancer
Hoover Dam
J.S. Bach's Cathedral
Magellan's Expedition
Michelangelo's Chapel
SETI Program
United Nations
Women's Suffrage

SETI isn't so important.
If you already have Computers, not so much is to be invented,
unless you are very concerned about final score and want to have
many many Future Techs.

Women's Suffrage is much less powerful than in paycivs.

Also add Pyramids to this list as they are very very cheap, and
never go obsolete.

Maybe we should just add bigger cost for some of them (Pyramids, Bach,
Mich, Smith, Leonardo), and set Magellan to add 1 point in default
freeciv ruleset ???

The reason I prefer the idea of per-city or per-unit costs is so that there will be an ongoing cost proportional to the ongoing benefit, instead of just a one-time fixed cost, which tends to favor large civilizations that already have an advantage due to their size. Maybe this is completely against the original idea of Wonders, but I think it would make them a little less unbalancing.

--Jed