[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Blitzkrieg patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Blitzkrieg patch
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 08:57:23 -0400

At 2000/07/30 04:33 , David Pfitzner wrote:

>Personally I would prefer to first see work done to finish the
>generalized buildings stuff, which would reduce some of these
>problems.

I agree.

>As far as the patch itself, I'm concerned about game balance,
>since this seems a overly powerful wonder...

It's similar to Magellan's Expedition, which I don't like either.  Giving
one civilization an eternal monopoly on "superboats" seems quite unbalancing.

I wouldn't mind seeing (in the default ruleset) a limiting of the power of
some of these unbalancing wonders.  Maybe, simply change all the current
"eternal and global" wonders to become obsolete at some point (hopefully,
we could come up with reasonable techs that would obsolete each wonder).
The ones I'm most unhappy with (i.e., the ones I try to get myself ;-) are:

A.Smith's Trading Co.
Cure for Cancer
Hoover Dam
J.S. Bach's Cathedral
Magellan's Expedition
Michelangelo's Chapel
SETI Program
United Nations
Women's Suffrage

Blitzkrieg would go on this list, as it is also "eternal and global".

jjm