[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Blitzkrieg patch

To: rdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Blitzkrieg patch
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 18:33:13 +1000 (EST)

Reed Meyer <rdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>      Here is a patch for the Wonder of the World "Blitzkrieg", for freeciv
> 1.11.0.

> and therefore was extracted for hopeful approval to be patched into the
> main freeciv distribution.

I agree this is the right approach, but...

> If a
> user insists on playing by strict "Civ II" rules, he can set the tech
> requirement to "Never" so that it can never be built.

There already exists a civ2/buildings.ruleset where you should
do this; also civ1/buildings.ruleset (at least so that these
rulesets will load successfully).

A problem with this patch is that it introduces incompatibility
for servers and clients which don't have this patch (see
common/capstr.c for how to address), and I guess for old
savegames (should be possible to add work-around I guess),
and for other modpacks.

Personally I would prefer to first see work done to finish the
generalized buildings stuff, which would reduce some of these
problems.

(A short-term work-around could be to change B_EIFFEL to
B_BLITZKRIEG, since B_EIFFEL is currently not used and at least
that wouldn't change the value of B_LAST.)

As far as the patch itself, I'm concerned about game balance,
since this seems a overly powerful wonder...

-- David