[Freeciv-Dev] Re: fascism patch

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: fascism patch
From: Reed Meyer <rdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 21:27:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 30 Jul 2000, Reinier Post wrote:
> > I was wondering when some politically-correct person was going to get
> > around to saying this.  I suppose you think that playing the "bad guy" in
> > a game must mean that that person is evil in real life, right?
>
> No, just an insensitive asshole.

Your use of language demonstrates that you are the insensitive one.  Of
course, I do not expect you to understand this, as one classic
characteristic of a PC-type is he will absolutely deny it when someone
points out to him that he is being a hypocrite.

> > I suppose
> > you also believe that violence in video games is a leading cause of
> > violence in youth?**
>
> Might be.  Unrelated.

Is it?

> > I don't have a problem distinguishing reality from fantasy... do you?
>
> I think you do.  Nazi Germany is very much a reality in Europe, largely
> a reality of the past of course, but something that is constantly on
> our minds.  You can seriously offend many people by treating it like
> a game.  Even if you mean nothing by it.

I'm pretty sure I understand the real situation here better than you guys
(you and the others who have posted against this patch) do.  However, if I
were to explain to you the truth behind the situation, it would so
contradict your mindset that you would respond with more and more
inflammatory rhetoric, rather than thinking about it rationally.  And I
have no desire to get into a flame war.  So I will not do this.
   My mistake was not in the opinions I have in this matter, but in
foolishly believing that there's a chance you guys might actually change
your mind.  I thus wasted my time, because there's nothing in the WORLD
that can be said to make you change your mind.  And therefore the fascism
patch (at least with a Nazi "nation" included) will never be accepted into
the main freeciv distribution.

---Reed Meyer
   rdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx