[Freeciv-Dev] Re: fascism patch

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: fascism patch
From: Steve Hodge <shodge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 12:08:54 +1000

Reinier Post wrote:
> No, just an insensitive asshole.
> I think you do.  Nazi Germany is very much a reality in Europe, largely
> a reality of the past of course, but something that is constantly on
> our minds.  You can seriously offend many people by treating it like
> a game.  Even if you mean nothing by it.

I take it you object to the massive number of computer and other games
that have dealt with the subject before? Like the extremely successful
Axis and Allies board game, or the SSI strategy games
(http://www.ssionline.com/). Other people have used Nazis in games
before, and shock, horror, even allowed players to play the Nazis
without these accusations of insensitivity etc. There was even a
scenario in CivII which followed WWII. We aren't even recreating WWII
here. I find it difficult to understand people getting upset over the
simple matter of a players choice of race. It's behavior that counts -
not name, and not even symbolism.

Regards,
Steve Hodge