Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Unit upkeep and capitalisation

To: Freeciv dev list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Unit upkeep and capitalisation
From: Robert Rendell <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 16:30:17 +1000 (EST)

I was just testing some changes I'd made, and discovered some behaviour I'm
not sure is right...  if a city has a negative shield surplus, supported
units are disbanded to put it back in the black again.  However, this
happens even if you have resources stockpiled... is this the same behaviour
as the original game?  I thought resources were removed from the stockpile
if you went negative, and units were only disbanded if the stockpile ran
out.

Also, the civ manual says that when units cannot be supported by a city,
they are disbanded "beginning with the unit farthest from the city".  The
current freeciv implementation just works through the unit list in order,
without checking distance.

The other thing I noticed when I was looking at this function
(city_build_stuff() in server/cityturn.c) was that capitalisation gives you
only the shield surplus of the city, and not the shield surplus + resource
stockpile, thus losing you all current production when you first change to
capitalisation.  This isn't what I would have expected without reading the
code - when I've played games, I'd assumed that changing to capitalisation
would give me gold for the stockpile (after suffering the usual halving if
I'd been building a wonder or unit, of course), as well as the surplus.
What do other people think?

                                                        Have fun,
                                                         Rob R.
                                                          \((/