Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Some ideas

To: cyb97 <cyb97@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Some ideas
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 20:57:05 +0200

On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 07:20:55PM +0100, cyb97 wrote:
> on 29.05.2000 05:52:27, the guilty party (ie. Robert Rendell), stuck his/her
> head out with the following anouncement:
> >Jules Bean wrote:
> >} On Sun, May 28, 2000 at 10:36:52AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> >} > Tomasz Wegrzanowski (maniek@xxxxxxxx) wrote:
> >} > > If transporter ship sunks, and there was land units capable to
> >} > > move on it, and next field is land (or transporter), they shoudn't
> >} > > sunk too, but they should be able to enter land.
> >} >
> >} > Interesting... that would have to be turned off in Civ2-compatibilty
> >} > mode, of course.

Not necesarily.
This is so minor, not many will notice.
( the same with nuclear plant meltdown etc. )

> >} This seems unrealistic to me.  If a transport is sunk at sea,
> >} everything goes down with it
> >
> >... but if they're close to shore, they might swim there.  OTOH, I don't
> >know that catapults or armour are any good at swimming :)  Perhaps it would
> >only work for infantry-like units.  Also, they could perhaps arrive on the
> >shore somewhat damaged by the ordeal.
> >
> >I think it's a cute concept, but I'm not convinced it would improve the
> >game.

I got this idea when my just-bought transporter sunked due to lack of supply,
with 3 units on it.
And yes, there was other unit from this city ON IT, that game could kill
instead.
It was killed anyway when transporter sunked.

> What about placing infantry-like units in life-rafts and allow them to be
> "rescued"
> with a new transport, or maybe let them move 1 square a turn or something
> like that. The units
> probably should be damaged per turn since they haven't got any life support
> (the support from the cities should be suspended for units requiring support
> until they reach shore), so
> they'll eventually die out if they can't reach shore or be rescued...
> I think it'll improve the game quite a bit... You might even expand it so
> that if
> a different nation picks them up they'll switch sides and go with their "new"
> nation.

If they can't reach shore or another transport, they can be simply killed,
as it is done now.