Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: ideas to freeciv...

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: ideas to freeciv...
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 13:15:25 +0200

> > Great idea!  For example, the Lighthouse can be allowed by
> > risking and saving a certain amount of Triremes on open sea.
> > Wonders would confirm a quality a nation has shown to possess.
>
> I think this is a bad idea from the view of game balance. It favours
> players who already have an advantage, which is bad.

Not if having the wonder has a price.  Pyramids can produce Granaries
in every city, rather than *free* Granaries in every city.  Magellan's
can be made to produce faster vessels at a correspondingly higher cost
of upkeep.

It would also help to decrease the loss on investment players have
when they go for a wonder and miss it.  That way, the achievement of
building the wonder will come at a price the other players aren't
paying.  In most games, most wonders are built by players who are
already so far ahead they can safely afford the investment, but maybe
the wonder mechanism is not the best place to tackle this problem.

> I even thought
> whether it might be a good idea for wonders to have increasing prices,
> like 200 shields for the first, 300 for the second etc. to avoid the
> usual situation of one player accumulating all the wonders, and to
> give the players a reson *not* to build a certain wonder.

If one player manages to pick up all the interesting wonders, it just
means the game is a run course.  Decrease the timeout, ally, plan a
surprise attack, or resign.  Experienced players will only pick from
a small subset of wonders, anyway.  I think it would be more interesting
to 'dilute' the effect of wonders with the nation's size.

Another idea is to allow players to share in each other's nations,
through diplomatic exchange.  Player A could buy himself in to the
benefits of player B's wonder at a negotiated cost per turn.

> > That's workable, but I think Falk Hueffners algorithm, that
> > generates names by recombining existing ones, is more fun.
>
> Glad you like it :) Do you think I should make an updated patch and
> try to get it into the source?

Yes!  I would love to see your quasi-Dutch names appear on my maps.

--
Reinier Post