Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: ideas to freeciv...

To: clemens.ager@xxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: ideas to freeciv...
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 17:58:55 +0200

On Sat, May 27, 2000 at 11:50:08AM +0000, Clemens Ager wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I like the idea of linking wonders with special events.
> eg.: the first player sailing all around the world should get the
> Magellans Expedition (I think it quite strange when I get it while
> playing without having a single ship ;-) )

Great idea!  For example, the Lighthouse can be allowed by
risking and saving a certain amount of Triremes on open sea.
Wonders would confirm a quality a nation has shown to possess.

> or the first civilisation having granaries in all cities could get
> pyramids(of course the pyramid should have a different powers), the
> first having libraries in all towns could get the great library. The
> first nation having Embassies in all other nations could get Marco
> Polo's embassy. I think the patten is clear.

I think the idea could work well, but only if building improvements
is made worthwhile in other ways.  It isn't worthwhile with the current
default settings; so players will only build them when they decide to
go for a wonder, they will often lose the race, to be left with a major
loss on investment.

> Of course there are some wonders like the Manhattan projekt or the
> Apollo program that should be handled in the way it is now.
> It would even be possible to have "dynamic" wonders. eg.: Leonardos
> workshop could be in the nation with the largest science output, this is
> checked every 10 turns (so it could be in several nations)...

It's probably a good idea to allow the same wonder multiple times.
Generator 2 games are often little more than just a race for Magellan's.

> 1. How about continent names? I think it would add some flair. And as
> I'm one of the persons that mostly use the given name for cities (and
> have some with the same name) it would make duplicate names more exact
> (eg. instead of Rome, Rome,... it would read Rome (Europe),
> Rome(Asia),...)

Nice idea, but difficult.  How do you determine continent names
and borders on generator 1 maps?  How do you display them without
cluttering the map too much?  Besides, I don't see an effect on
gameplay.

> 2. As you've read above I use the "suggested-name-feature" for cities
> extensivly ;-) How about extenting the list by adding "new" to the names
> in the list (eg. London later would be New London,...)

That's workable, but I think Falk Hueffners algorithm, that generates
names by recombining existing ones, is more fun.

--
Reinier Post