Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Some ideas

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Some ideas
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 17:41:37 +0100

On Sun, May 28, 2000 at 10:36:52AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> Tomasz Wegrzanowski (maniek@xxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > 4.
> > There shouldn't be any villages on Antarctis
>
> I think this one's been mentioned before.  I can't think of any real
> reason *not* to have the villages (goodie huts) there.

Aesthetics: They look out of place.  Realism: They represent
proto-civilisations, and ice caps are not friendly places. Gameplay:
It's a big free pot of gold for the first player to scour the
ice-caps. Compat: AFAICR, the paycivs didn't have them there.

> > 7.
> > If transporter ship sunks, and there was land units capable to
> > move on it, and next field is land (or transporter), they shoudn't
> > sunk too, but they should be able to enter land.
>
> Interesting... that would have to be turned off in Civ2-compatibilty
> mode, of course.

This seems unrealistic to me.  If a transport is sunk at sea,
everything goes down with it... the only units I could imagine
surviving are helicopters, and AFAIK we don't have
helicopters-on-boats working properly.

Jules

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable