Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fanatism patch.

To: Vincent Dubois <Vincent.Dubois@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fanatism patch.
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 12:52:58 -0500

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 03:28:25PM +0200, Vincent Dubois wrote:
> I made a pacth for adding fanatism government. It does the
> following :
>
> - add gvt flags :
>    G_SCIENCE_HALVED  : overall science is halved under fanatism
>    G_NO_UNHAPPY,     : no unhappy citizen
>    G_CONVERT_TITHES_TO_MONEY, : temple, colosseum and cathedral
>                               generate "tithes" (gold)
>    G_HAS_FANATICS, : fanatics may be build, and have no upkeep
>
> - add unit flag :
>    F_FANATIC : unit is a fanatic unit, and may only be build unter
>              government with G_HAS_FANATICS flag.

        When enabling this government in the Civ2 ruleset, all of these
are needed.  For the FreeCiv ruleset, I propose removing
G_CONVERT_TITHES_TO_MONEY, and making G_NO_UNHAPPY into doubled martial
law, as Communism gets.

> - re-insert crusaders, elephants, for they are in tech path
>   for fanatism

        Okay.

> I hope it will note unbalance the game too much. Please note :
> - This patch generate less tithes civ2 actually does.
> - Fundamentalism may help already big empire to finish opposent
>   quickly.
> - Science penalty may be set higher to balance the game.
>   (1/4 or even 1/8 ??)

        The science penalty isn't the big issue with Fundamentalism.

> - No change has been made to IA. Don't know if IA player
>   could take advantage of this gvt ...
> - Fanatic is not made default units. Could someone help ??

        The AI chooses the next unit build based upon raw unit power.
Fanatics are not a particularly good unit compared to Riflemen, Alpine
Troops, Mech Infantry, or Howitzers.  The AI will therefore choose those
units over Fanatics.
        You'll probably need to change
ai/advmilitary.c:unit_desirability().

--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."