Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fanatism patch.

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fanatism patch.
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 20:02:37 -0400

Tony Stuckey (stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> >    G_SCIENCE_HALVED  : overall science is halved under fanatism
> >    G_NO_UNHAPPY,     : no unhappy citizen
> >    G_CONVERT_TITHES_TO_MONEY, : temple, colosseum and cathedral
> >                             generate "tithes" (gold)
> >    G_HAS_FANATICS, : fanatics may be build, and have no upkeep

> >    F_FANATIC : unit is a fanatic unit, and may only be build unter
> >            government with G_HAS_FANATICS flag.

>       When enabling this government in the Civ2 ruleset, all of these
> are needed.  For the FreeCiv ruleset, I propose removing
> G_CONVERT_TITHES_TO_MONEY, and making G_NO_UNHAPPY into doubled martial
> law, as Communism gets.

If you remove *both* of these, Fundamentalism has no purpose any more.
The Fanatic unit doesn't compensate for half-science.

>       The AI chooses the next unit build based upon raw unit power.
> Fanatics are not a particularly good unit compared to Riflemen, Alpine
> Troops, Mech Infantry, or Howitzers.  The AI will therefore choose those
> units over Fanatics.

Actually, they compare pretty well to Riflemen, especially since they
are upkeep-free.  They cost half what Riflemen cost, and have the same
defense rating (albeit a lower attack).

(Or am I mis-remembering?)

--
Greg Wooledge                    | "Truth belongs to everybody."
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             |   Red Hot Chili Peppers