Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: OO model for Freeciv?

To: Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: OO model for Freeciv?
From: Cameron Morland <cjmorlan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 09:45:03 -0400 (EDT)

On 30 Apr 2000, Falk Hueffner wrote:

> Well, nevertheless I think we should stick to C :-) It's just that the
> arguments here seem silly. For example, execution speed is pretty
> irrelevant for FreeCiv IMHO, as long as it isn't twice as slow or
> something.

I must disagree, myself. Sid's Civ on DOS was nice on a 286, and crazily
fast on a 386. I have a Sparc 2, and FreeCiv is acceptably fast with a
normal map, and painfully slow with a large one. Making it significantly
slower would make it unplayable for me. If Sid can do it with a 286, we
should be able to do it with a slow Sparc. You can, of course, tell me I
ought to upgrade. But this is not a good way of encouraging new users; one
way to get people to start using Linux is to say "got a spare 386? I'll
set up a sandbox for you to play with it a bit." So requiring a recent
machine is IMHO a mistake.

 /
/  Wise words of the day:

If an engineer used "Microsoft" steel to make a bridge or a building,
he would lose both his job and his reputation.

\  cjmorland@xxxxxxxxxxxx