Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: A patch for 4 new nations

To: sigra@xxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: A patch for 4 new nations
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 19:03:14 EDT

On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 09:45:10PM +0200, Erik Sigra wrote:

Can't you just let anyone add whichever nation he wants to freeciv and end this silly discussion!

Sorry for the disturbance, Your Excellency. This message is meant to end this discussion, at least in here. Please send all flames to me and not to this mailing list.

Just to clarify, I am not trying to impose my political views on anyone. In fact, I wouldn't mind if the flag of the Republic of China (currently in Taiwan) is used as an alternative flag for the Chinese. After all, they came before the People's Republic of China and was the legitimate government of China before being driven to the Taiwan Island. The founding father of the Republic, Sun Zhongshan, is revered by all Chinese people and should be added as a leader as well. I just think it would be silly to add it as a separate nation, just as it would be silly to introduce two Korea, two Germany, etc.

On the other hand, I don't have any problem with adding the Tibetans, because they do have a distinct culture, and they are one of the largest minorities in China. In this respect, they are more like American Indians, and certainly deserve a place in Freeciv, IMHO. Again, this is not a political statement, but just what I think the word "nation" should mean in Freeciv.

Thank you for your patience. And again, please direct all replies to me only, and not to the mailing list.

Mike

P.S. I would think it's a bit impractical and even ridiculous to let anyone add whichever nation they want, but that's just me.