Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: The guy from .algonet.se

To: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>, thue@xxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: The guy from .algonet.se
From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 12:53:44 -0500

On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 09:33:00AM -0800, Paul Zastoupil was heard to say:
> Reinier Post wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Mar 19, 2000 at 09:55:34PM +0100, Thue Janus Kristensen wrote:
> > > I just observed a game where he was losing, and then he /removed the guy
> > > who was
> > > winning over him. He have had warnings enought, but he just don't get it.
> > > I suggest we apply the attached patch to the servers at
> > > civserver.freeciv.org
> > > for now, at least until the command patch is finished.
> > > He is simply spoiling it for everybody else. Hopefully he will soon go
> > > away
> > > when he can't play.
> >
> > For the record, algonet is already banned from civserver.freeciv.org games.
> > Apologies to all the other algonet users.
>
> Well to be accurate, only one of the class C's they have for dailups was
> blocked.  I have seen him on at least 3 class C's.  While I would like
> to see him go away as much as the rest of you, I think we need a better,
> real solution for this kind of thing.  Ideas?

  Would it maybe help to give users accounts linked to email addresses?
ie, have them register an account on the Web page (or in the client?) by
providing an email address, then send them a password at that address, and
require the username/password for games on civserver.  This would make it
possible to cut at least some abusers off (if they have access to an infinite
number of email addresses, of course, this is a problem :-) )
  It might also help to prevent players from automatically getting command
access to the server until they've played some number of games (although this
idea needs some work for cases where, eg, several players who haven't
played enough games all join the same server without any command-privileged
players)

  This obviously won't work right now, but the server and client could be
modified to support (not require!) this sort of authentication in future
versions, perhaps?..

 (and yes, I'm afraid this probably qualifies as a subtle plug for the auth
  patch..)

  Daniel