Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: windows port

To: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: windows port
From: akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx (Andreas Kemnade)
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 21:09:17 +0100 (CET)

Lalo Martins writes:
 > On Sun, Mar 19, 2000 at 08:21:30AM +0100, Daniel Zinsli wrote:
 > >
 > > Now that gtk seems semi-stable under windows, it seems that the biggest
 > > obstacle is the networking code.
 > > Obviously, the network-code seemed to work in that port.
 >
 > The networking code is fully portable between unix and mingw.

You have only to consider to use recv and send when you operate on
sockets and no gdk_input_add. (on win you have to use closesocktet
instead of close)

 > > Is there any chance of merging that code with the current cvs, thus
 > > allowing us to support win32 'out of the box', with generic
 > > net-subsystem and (almost) unmodified gui-gtk ?
 >
 > Andreas Akemnade (sp?) alrady did this and released a binary,
 > but there seems to be a problem with gdk. He later disappeared
 > and didn't leave his recipe for his magical cross-compiler, so
 > we're kinda lost ;-)

I am back now.
You can get a working cross-compiler from the original debian source.
I used binutils-2.9.50.22 and gcc-2.95.2.

First install binutils by
./configure --target=i386-mingw32 --prefix=/usr/local/win
make
make install

Then install the GNU Windows32 Headers into
/usr/local/win/i386-mingw32/include.

The libs go into /usr/local/win/i386-mingw32/lib.

Then install gcc by
./configure --target=i386-mingw32 --prefix=/usr/local/win
make
make install

Andreas Kemnade
akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx