Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Inconsistency with barbarians... (PR#290)

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Inconsistency with barbarians... (PR#290)
From: paulz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 22:03:20 -0800

On Sun, Mar 19, 2000 at 04:43:16PM +1100, David Pfitzner wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, Reinier Post wrote:
>
> > Yes, I think it was Mike Jing who pointed out before that connecting
> > as a barbarian has some interesting purposes.  I think we need a
> > server option to prevent connections as AI players, but I'm not
> > sure about barbarians, so it isn't clear to me what the exact
> > options should look like.
>
> I would suggest an option similar to 'demography', with
> letters for which types of players can connect:
>   'h' = human (alive)
>   'a' = ai (alive)
>   'd' = dead (ai or human)
>   'b' = barbarian
>
> >set connections had
>
> (Also, a server option eg aitoggle, to toggle ai state on/off
> as people connect/disconnect?)

I think both of these are wonderful ideas.

The ai toggle would come in real handy when no one notices the player,
who happens to be in the middle a thunderstorm, gets disconnected
quite frequently.  Freeciv can't wait for everyone :)

It is obvious Freeciv is starting to grow up in a sense, we are starting
to deal with some real world issues, which is great (e.g. idiot players,
lag, bad connections etc.)  They have always been there, but now we are
addressing them.

So we interrupt this email for a public service announcement.  I was
worried there would be a lull in developement after the 1.10.0 release
(like there was after 1.9.0), but there has been an explosion of
discussion, and, even better, patches!  Huge THANKS to everyone who
has been contributing to the project recently, you know who you are.
I wish I could thank you all personally.  (Stop by my apartment and we
can have dinner :)

Back to our regularly scheduled program (pun fully intended).

--
Paul Zastoupil