Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Inconsistency with barbarians... (PR#290)

To: rp@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: rizos@xxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Inconsistency with barbarians... (PR#290)
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 18:11:29 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000 Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 07:12:56AM -0800, rizos@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Submission from: (NULL) (194.83.240.36)
> >
> > When barbarians appear in a game, they are not shown as an extra
> > player in the players menu, but they are on the metaserver. I can't
> > see any reason for this inconsistency... (IMHO, noone should be
> > allowed to connect as a barbarian)
>
> Fixed in this patch, against Mar, 9 CVS.

I agree that barbarians shouldn't be listed in the metaserver.

However as I've pointed out before, we do allow connections
to AI players, and to dead players (AI or human), so allowing
connections to barbarians is not necessarily inconsistent,
and may be useful eg for debugging.

Ideally I think there should be a server option specifying
which sorts of connections are allowed.  Nevertheless, in
the meantime the current behaviour is obviously confusing
and/or annoying for people, so I have committed the patch.

> There is one more string to translate now.

Well, two, but who's counting ;-)

-- David