Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Inconsistency with barbarians... (PR#290)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Inconsistency with barbarians... (PR#290)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 18:24:42 +0100

> > > When barbarians appear in a game, they are not shown as an extra
> > > player in the players menu, but they are on the metaserver. I can't
> > > see any reason for this inconsistency... (IMHO, noone should be
> > > allowed to connect as a barbarian)
> >
> > Fixed in this patch, against Mar, 9 CVS.
>
> I agree that barbarians shouldn't be listed in the metaserver.
>
> However as I've pointed out before, we do allow connections
> to AI players, and to dead players (AI or human), so allowing
> connections to barbarians is not necessarily inconsistent,
> and may be useful eg for debugging.

Yes, I think it was Mike Jing who pointed out before that connecting
as a barbarian has some interesting purposes.  I think we need a
server option to prevent connections as AI players, but I'm not
sure about barbarians, so it isn't clear to me what the exact
options should look like.

The patch is trivial and I'll be happy to add the options freeciv-dev
agrees on.

--
Reinier