Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: changing from settler to building (PR#281)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: changing from settler to building (PR#281)
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 19:37:42 +1100 (EST)

David Pfitzner wrote:

> A remaining oddity is that if you "buy" the Settler
> to completion (but don't build it due to size 1),
> then on later turns you can change your production
> even though normally you can't change after buying.
> Not sure how or whether to fix this though...

To clarify, its not a coding problem, but a problem of what the
"rule" should be.  Should you not be able to change production
until the bought item is finally built?  That could be annoying
if the city is not going to grow for a long time.  Should you
not be able to buy unless the item can be completed?  Would be
sensible, but seems difficult to get all the details right (eg,
disband-city option, city may or may not grow next turn etc).

It occurs to me that a similar situation ("finished" building
something but cannot complete) occurs with wonders which have
been built by someone else in the meantime.  (Same "buying"
problem; code looks already ok for change-production-penalty.)

-- David